Sunday 29 June 2014

A touch of neon, in lace...

Hello, all, I hope you are having an enjoyable weekend. I was in Edinburgh for the long weekend, the main purpose of which was to attend a wedding yesterday. It was truly a beautiful day, and it was so lovely to see the sweetest couple tie their knot. 

We've just got back home now, and I couldn't wait to share my wedding guest outfit with you. 

You have probably guessed from just looking at the dress that it was another Mccalls 2401 make!! What I can say, whenever I lay my hands on some slightly stretchy material, that is the first pattern that pops into my head. It is perfect for so many occasions, and attending wedding is certainly one of them. 

The fabric is an interesting one. Fabricland described it as a jersey, which is completely true, but the lace is not a print, but an additional layer that's "glued" on top. I think the lace layer is less stretchy than the jersey itself, so it ended up being quite a stable fabric, but with a bit of give. My favourite type!

I loved the lace, and the colour -- kind of pink, kind of coral, but with a touch of neon to it. How very on trend? 
What a lovely spot to tie the knot! 

The best thing about using a tried and tested pattern is that you could "whip up" a dress in no time, as no additional effort is required to adjust the fit. I used my normal sewing machine, with a ball point needle, and despite the fabric being jersey, it sewed up in straight stitches without any issue, as the stretch goes from left to right (very handy!) and this pattern doesn't contain a vertical seam. There's not much more to say about the construction, but if you did want to refer to what adjustments I made to the original pattern, please click on the tag Mccalls 2401 below which will bring up my 3, yes 3, other versions. 

A photo of the bias facing for the neckline and armhole -- I really like the lace and stripes combination. You might be able to see what I mean with the fabric more, here.  


So that's it, the loyal little pattern strikes yet again, this time in an interesting fabric. How do you feel about neon colours? How "neon" would you go? I would love to hear from you.   

8 comments:

  1. Really cute dress! Great job, and perfect for a wedding!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I made it for the occasion :)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous dress, and I love a little neon. Quite fancy it in a pair of trainers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, it would look great in trainers!

      Delete
  3. Very inspiring to a brand new garment sewer! I am still working up to a dress. Shorts and skirts so far with elastic waists. A zipper is next! I really love your pink lace dress...my son will be getting married next year and I would like to sew a simple sheath dress with some lace. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, good luck! I hope you are enjoying sewing - it's life changing :D

      Delete
  4. This is really cute! I love it on you! I'm not at all afraid of neon... my problem is more that I can go too far with crazy colors and prints! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha!! that's a completely different problem ;)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! Leave a comment before you go ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...