Sunday 23 February 2014

Ready for spring jacket

Hello all! Hope you are having a nice weekend. 

I've finally completed my first jacket! I was initially going to make this ready for autumn, but then autumn came and went, so now it's ready in time for spring! 

I used the New Look 6035 pattern, view A. You might remember Lauren's version last year from the Sewing Bee! I used this pattern as the jacket is unlined -- I thought I'd ease my way into the wonderful world of jackets! 

I'm happy to report back that it wasn't that hard to make! I don't know what I was expecting, but as it turned out, the construction of this jacket wasn't all that different from a princess lined top. The lapel was a bit of a challenge, but nothing out of the ordinary. If I were to make this pattern again, though, I would look to make the lapel a bit more narrow, but it doesn't bother me too much the way it is. 


I don't actually know what the fabric is...I want to say it's somewhere between a twill, viscose and a poly blend. It has a very soft hand, and is comfortable to wear. I really liked the dark red/wine colour and how soft it is, so had to have it!  

Very weirdly, the only alteration that I had to make was to let the bottom half of the sleeves out a bit. Now I had no idea that I had disproportionately massive forearms, but New Look has shown me just how blissfully unaware I was... The rest of the jacket fitted fine, if not a little on the loose side for my liking (you might have noticed that the button is a little off centre to pull the jacket in), but I ended up letting out each sleeve by just under 2cm in the forearm area!! Without the alteration I could just about get my (massive) forearms through the sleeves, but bending my elbow was a chore. I certainly wouldn't be doing what the lady is doing on the envelope! After the alterations I could just about roll up the sleeves. 

Overall, though, I was pretty pleased with how it's turned out. It's certainly wearable, and I have not been put off making more jackets in the future. Now we just need spring to arrive, as I'm ready for it! 

How about you? Are you ready for spring yet? 

19 comments:

  1. Nice jacket! You have inspired me to try to make one! Love the color too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Mary! thank you for your kind words!

      Delete
  2. Oooooo! That oattern has been on my to-make-wish list for a while! I yours looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! It was on mine for quite some time before I actually got to making it but I think it was worth the wait :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely! Sassy Sewing Bees https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees ❀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, you are too kind! thank you for your continued support!

      Delete
  4. Wow, I just love this jacket! And I really like the off-center button - I thought it was a cute design, then I read that it was for fitting. The colour is just so so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo that's great, I'm glad that you actually like the off centre button - that makes me feel better :)

      Delete
  5. Really lovely shape and colour for you, great job! I've been on the lookout for jacket patterns to go with a couple of dresses I've made to wear to weddings this summer - this pattern is now definitely on the possibles list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes a jacket for weddings! That sounds perfect. How about butterick 4610? I have this pattern (well I mmanaged to buy 2 of them in fact, and ended up sending one on a giveaway), though I haven't used it yet, I have only read great things about it (and hence getting excited again and buying it again!). If you want an unlined one though, this new look little number would definitely be a good shout x

      Delete
  6. This is really cute! I love it on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty, you did a great job on that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is excellent. It looks so sophisticated and the fit and sewing look impeccable. Very inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm blushing already :p In fact whilst I am happy with it, thr perfectionist in me would like to point out that the lapel could've been done better, and instead of overclocking the seams on the inside, I should have used bias binding for a neater finish... something for next time, perhaps?

      Delete
  9. Alice, this is so wonderful! I really love the colour & the style suits you amazingly!! I am truly inspired!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetheart! I'm glad that I've gotten over the hurdle of making my first jacket, and it hasn't scared me off :)

      Delete
  10. I can't believe this is your first jacket! So awesome! My first jacket and only jacket was far from blog worthy. This looks so professional and the colour is divine!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Leave a comment before you go ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...