Thursday 11 October 2012

Midnight Blue Skirt



I think this may be my new favourite skirt! I love the midnight blue fabric, with all that beautiful print -  floral, paisley and whatever else... Would you be jealous if I told you that this costs me £1.10 a metre??   It is a drapy polyester georgette from a shop at Walthamstowe, and I underlined it with a dark blue faux silk lining which also cost about £1. So this skirt is really cheap as chips! 
As you will probably have guessed, this is indeed a Simplicity 2451. I made a view D, and the skirt actually turned out a bit like the picture! 

The construction was incredibly easy. The whole thing took no more than half a day to make, including the underlining - I was being rather impatient and lazy so I cheated and machine underlined the pieces by overcasting them at all the edges (with my overcasting foot). It is difficult to motivate myself to underline £1 fabrics by hand! 


I cut a size 4, which is smaller than the size I would've used if I based it simply on my waist/hip measurement, based on a number of reviews of this pattern. I am glad I did it as I love how/where it sits.

Overall I just love this skirt - it has such a classic shape, a good fit, the right length (long enough for work too) and it has pockets! What's not to like? I can totally see why this pattern was a Best Pattern of 2010. 

I wore this already last Sunday at Bicester Designer Outlet Village, where the snaps were taken, and it felt great to be wearing my homemade skirt amongst all the designer shops! Shhhh... but do you think that they can tell?  ;-) 

12 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I have to make one of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! and I shall look forward to seeing your version ;-)

      Delete
  2. I love your skirt! Beautiful fabric! I bet they couldn't tell! Lol, they're spending so much money and you look as fabulous with only $2. I love that you're wearing a red blouse with it!
    www.kathoprojects.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you for saying so Karen! I do love red and thought that a plain red top would be perfect for my new skirt :)

      Delete
    2. Great skirt! I have made view B 3 times already but after seeing yours I have to make that one too! I do agree that the pattern runs a bit large. Such a great pattern don't you think?

      Delete
    3. That's so great! I'm looking forward to seeing your version 4! Yep I have already fallen in love with this pattern - I'm excited to make this again too!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! Isn't it just the best bargain ever?

      Delete
  4. It's so cute! And the fabric is adorable

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw your review on pattern review and it helped me choose to buy this pattern for my first skirt:

    http://suziestitches.blogspot.ca/2013/04/my-first-skirt.html

    Thank you very much! I shall be checking out your blog for other inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Suzie! I am so pleased that you decided to make this dress :)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! Leave a comment before you go ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...